View Single Post
Unregistered 10:38 AM 05-19-2013
First, I hate dogs. Just can't stand them, their hair, their barking and messes. I just don't care for them.
HOWEVER, after our dc home got broken into, my husband wanted to get a dog for safety of our family AND the dc families, so I let him do it.

I told the parents what had happened (not that they couldn't tell from the hole cut in the window) and what my husband said. No dc parent had a problem, but did warn me how pit bulls are a little more dangerous because of their jaws and how they lock up when they get hold of something, a trait other dogs don't have. I never really saw a pit that I knew was a pit so I looked them up. Was not interested in any pit bull based on the fact that they are some sort of terrier dogs and terrier dogs do not like to be alone and are loud barkers.

So, after a few days, still no dog, my husband finds the dog of his dreams, a Siberian Husky puppy. By nature Siberians are friendly with everyone. So we went and got her. The dc parents loved her (even though she hated them). The problem? She was extremely protective, and while that seems great, she would get mean toward the parents who came into the house to take "her" babies. She played with the dc kids and was great at first. Then she went to an appt and she was badly injured at the vet BY the vet who screamed and yelled at her because she squealed and moved during her shots. (She was 3 months old). She was NEVER the same. After this incident, she became aggressive with everyone except us. She didn't even want to play with the dc kids anymore.

Lucky for me, I don't do dc anymore. But if I had, I would have had to get rid of her because there was no way that we could risk it.

Dogs change, just like people, and can become very irritable by lots of things. You just don't know what will set them off. She would bite you if you came to my house and tried to touch her. She growls at the doorbell when it rings. She hates people now. All because ONE incident that she seemed never to forget.

I would NOT allow my young babies to be around a dc w/ a dog knowing what I know now. ANY dog. Not just pits.

And, if the dc didn't have pets before, they DO have an obligation to tell their dc parents about them. Many parents (like me) would choose a dc without ANY pets for several reasons: allergies, hair, just overall cleanliness, and last but definitely not least, because animals are not "safe".