View Single Post
Play Care 05:45 AM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I'd have a folder with basic info such as schedule, fire/ severe weather plan, list of children enrolled, who can pick up, and typical schedule. Right now my wife does most of my subbing so she knows the parents and my routine.

If bringing in a new sub I would have her there with you at a pickup time to introduce them to the parents. I would also remind parents to have ID if sub is there so she can card parents she doesn't know.

Just make sure your parents know ahead of time you are going to use a sub. Something as simple as note home stating "Effective February 30th, XXXXXXX will be starting here as a substitute. On days they will be here I will let parents know via written notice or text message (depending on availability advance notice).

Most parents recognize the need for subs. I doubt you will have a problem with it.
This. Frankly most of my parents are just relieved that they don't have to pick up early or find alternate care every time I have an appointment that they don't seem to mind (and I've told them all in no uncertain terms that if they did then I'm not the provider for them...)
When I do take on a new sub I usually have them come in as an "assistant" for a few months so they can get to know the kids, routine, etc. I want to make sure that they appreciate the fact that this is WORK and needs to be treated as such. I made the mistake of not doing that when I first started and it felt like more work to have that sub come in.