View Single Post
QualiTcare 04:59 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by mugglegirl:
I'll say here what I said in my response to a post on Facebook.

I don't think this is so much about the discount as it is about the general attitude toward the Early Childhood community. Many of us have college educations and provide the foundations in learning for the children in our care. We aren't just "babysitters" as we're often called. A babysitter is the teenager that watches tv with your kids for a couple of hours while you have a night out with your spouse. Its a respect issue.
exactly, it's a respect issue which is probably why jo-ann's has made the distinction. would it affect the pockets of teachers if daycare providers got the discount? no. as you said, it's a respect issue.

you can not call yourself a doctor if you are not a licensed doctor. you can't call yourself a nurse unless you are a licensed nurse. you can not call yourself a lawyer unless you hold a license to practice law. not only can you not say you are a doctor, nurse, or lawyer when you do not hold the license, but there are legal ramifications including jail if you do. so, why people think it's okay to throw the title of teacher around all willy-nilly is beyond me. i worked in daycare for years before i became a teacher, and i did it for awhile afterward. in my years as a daycare provider i never thought of myself as a teacher and would never have told someone who asked what i did for a living that i was a teacher. i had co-workers who when asked outside of work what they did, they would say, "i'm a pre-school teacher." it's deceptive to put it lightly.