View Single Post
daycarediva 11:08 AM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
When I first started over 8 yrs ago I was open 6am to 6pm. After a while no one really needed before 7 so for a while I was 7am to 6pm.

A little over a year ago I started to seem really burned out (even though I found out in June it was cuz I was in 3rd stage heart failure, not from the job and getting older) so then I changed it to 7:30am to 5:30pm. I have 2 families that used to use until 6, but I surprisingly didn't lose them and they have made the 5:30 work.
10 hours is still a bit much for me with having the weak heart, but I sometimes have one of my assistants open and always try to have at least an hour or 2 to lay down upstairs. Plus I have 3 part time assistants that do most of the physical work. I think I would keep it at 7:30-5:30 anyways even if I was healthy. They obviously were using til 6 when it wasn't necessary and didn't leave when I changed it. Just using me. hehe

I would love to be done at 4:30. For those of you who do it, how is that possible? Don't most people in your areas work the typical 9-5 or is it a different shift? Can I ask what areas you're in?
I'm in NY.

Most of my families have the parent that goes to work later drop off, and the parent that gets out earlier pick up. I REALLY hammer family time with their kids at interviews, and have been weeding out clients who are open-close regardless.

Some of my families work in the medical profession (7-3 shift) and the hospital is around the corner. Two are local college professors/4 year school, work at home (medical billing), one has an in home psychiatry practice and sets her own hours, one is a personal trainer (sets own hours), one is an artist (sets own hours).

The only one who uses my over 10 hour/OT rule on a regular basis is a single dad, sheriff. No local family. He gives me a heads up he needs to work until 6 or before 8 and then pays accordingly.