View Single Post
Gurdy 10:24 AM 02-14-2011
My dad has been on hospice care for some time now. He has COPD and congestive heart failure. He is in pretty bad shape physically but still has full mental capacity.

My mom called me today and said that he had a very bad weekend. He is now completely unable to get out of bed and acting weird (cant remember things). Refuses to eat or take his medicines. The hospice nurses have been there alot all weekend. I could literally hear the fear and stress in her voice when I talked to her. I think she feels like this may be the end.

I am at a loss as to what to do to help her. I feel like I need to just be there at her house to help with my dad and deal with the nurses for her, as she says that they don't really tell her anything.

I already told her I would come over every evening to be with them, but I wonder if I should close daycare and be there during the day as well (I feel like I should be there). I just need some advice, do I tell the dcps that I am closing til further notice? Do I just pick a couple of days to close and go to her house on those days? Should I just take on a day to day basis and give my dc families a heads up that I may need to leave at a moments notice and they need to have back-up care all week? My parents live about forty minutes away so it will still take me some time to get to her.

I am hoping he pulls out of this... we have had several scares in the past year, but I have never heard my mom sound this scared and he has gotten better in the past (not really better but not worse)...