View Single Post
jenny31052 09:35 PM 07-18-2012
This family started about 5 months ago, I was not actively looking for additional families at that time because I knew that I was going to going overseas for 8 weeks in the summer; however these people, especially the Dad, almost begged me to take the child, saying that it was ok if I was going on vacation, that they will going to find alternate care in the meantime. They seemed ok, and I ended up calling back, and accepting them...

Man, they turned out to be the worst family... late drop-offs, late pick ups, never followed handbook, the child was always filty... In two occasions I agreed to let them pay a week late because they didn't have the money (however I told them that they couldn't let it happen again).

And then I left for my vacation, and since I knew that I had a chance that someone may not come back to me after my return, 3 weeks ago I sent everyone an email asking who was going to be back in care the day I was re-opening - each one of my families replied promptly confirming their presence, other than them...

Now I'm a little over week away from re-opening, I didn't hear from them, so last night I sent a text message asking if the child was going to come on that Monday.

I get a text back with the usual series of apologies, and "I thought my husband told you, my wife said, I forgot" and so on, ending with saying that he will not be coming back.

Now, it is absolutely ok with me (deep inside I was hoping they will find someone else in the meantime) but now they failed to give me the 2 weeks notice, and since they signed a contract where it says that they have to give 2 weeks of paid notice if they want to terminate care, I feel that I'm entitled to it...especially considering the numerous occasions where I did accomodate them without fussing too much..

What would you do? I have the feeling that I won't be getting my money, but at the same time I don't want them to think that its always ok to take advantage of people, and I have all the intentions of trying to enforce the contract they signed...

Or should I just let it go?

Also, how should I word a letter to them, in the eventuality I decide to pursue what is due?

Thanks!