Thread: So Sad...
View Single Post
jen 09:53 AM 02-27-2011
OK...this is just my humble opinion, take it for what its worth.

I am 44. None of my friends or I went to daycare, eating at McDonalds was a treat, preschool consisted of Girl Scout Camp or Art Class, and Summer School meant ceramic class or kick-ball. In general, our Mom's stayed home and our parents stayed married. Before 1960 (yes, I know, I wasn't born until 1967) but before the 60's divorce was very uncommon, and the vast majority of wives stayed home with children. In the 1970's and 1980's, when many of my daycare parents were born, the divorce rate skyrocketed and women returned the work force in droves. McDonalds and the like went crazy, houses got much bigger, and obesity started running rampant.

Do they really need to read by kindergarten, a 4,000 square foot house, or $300 electric Barbie cars? Probably not. But, as long as parents can justify their lack of time and attention to their kids by assuring themselves that kids need the best early "education," the nicest neighborhoods, and Mom really needs a $30,000 SUV, we'll have kids in daycare for all sorts of time while Mommy decompresses from her busy day of supplying her children with the best of everything and nothing that they really needed to begin with.

Stepping down now....