Thread: So Sad...
View Single Post
nannyde 11:34 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
I agree she was probably trying to do to much, BUT the thing that bothers me is that she could walk out the door get in her car, drive to the grocery store, walk around that grocery store like it was NOTHING, like she didnt have 7 babies at home alone. It makes me sick who knows if it was that she was 22, that she was open too many hours, that she tried to do to much curriculum or if she was that stupid. No excuse will ever bring those babies back and if it were my kid no excuse would be good enough for me.
I was thinking about my career at 22.

I finished nursing school and received a BSN. I had three years of nanny experience under my belt as I cared for three school aged children as a live in nanny housekeeper from my freshman year summer until I graduated in May.

I was able to take a full load with school and clinicals in nursing school and work a 45 hour a week job plus study a prety hard course of study. By the time I finished school I "KNEW" how to work and work hard.

Even with THAT experience, an good work ethic, and a very good education, I could not have cared for seven kids from eighteen months and three AND ran a full preschool program with second language, reading, math, science ets.

I wonder if she has been asked how CAN she do that? How can someone that young who doesn't appear to have any education be able to run a Montesorri like program and care for SO many small kids? Did it ever cross anyones mind to think "could that even BE done?"

I wonder if we will hear that someone was in the house or someone was supposed to be on their way to the house?

Anyway... at 22 you are too young to be left alone with that many young children. Working with that many kids in a center is different. You always have someone else you CAN call..... someone else who CAN be there to help in a crisis....... someone who is the boss of you on premise.

My staff assistant is 21 and she has had two years of Nan school and I wouldn't even DREAM of leaving her alone with six/seven kids. I don't even allow her to take them for a walk without me. She's awesome and I love her to pieces but I wouldn't dream of putting that kind of responsibility on her with so little training. She's not old enough to know to give her life to save the life of the kids no matter what. Until you are old enough to know that they always completely come before you..... you shouldn't be able to be alone with them. I'm certain 22 isn't old enough to know that.... educated or not... experienced or not... mother or not....... it's just too young.