View Single Post
3kidzmama 09:30 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My handbook reads:

"NO medication will be given to any child while on the child care premisis. This includes over the counter medications such as Tylenol and Advil and their generic forms. I will also NOT give prescription medication to any child while in care. If your child needs prescription meds, please make arrangements for their dosage requirements to not interfere with child care attendance."

This has been my policy for several years. I have yet to have a parent try to negotiate or ask for exceptions. I have had several children needing prescription meds for various reasons such as an ear infection or something similar and they have all either gotten an antibiotic that is dispensed twice daily or only once. I know there are a few meds that need to be given three or four times daily but the parents have either picked up before their child needed the next dose or used alternate care arrangements with family members.

I also have a section in my policy stating that parents must inform me when their child is on medication (OTC and prescription) and failure to notify me is grounds for immediate termination.

I have refused to take on the liability connected with children and medications and make absolutely no exceptions. It has worked fine for several years so I don't find this policy to be impossible and is very do-able. I also require all imms to be given on a Friday or prior to the child having 2 days off from care.
This is exactly what I was thinking originally. Do you mind if I use your wording in my new
policy?