View Single Post
Crystal 07:58 AM 08-31-2012
Time out is completely useless, especially for his age.....he's not going to "get it" as you say.

If he is chewing stuff, try redirecting him " I cannot let you chew on that, see what happens when you chew on that" (show him) "If you want to chew on something, you can chew on this" and then give him something he CAN chew on......This may be a sensory thing and I would try to accomodate it the best I can.

In regards to putting him in a playyard for "most of the day", as a parent I would be absolutley LIVID if I thought my child were being separated and segregated for most of the day. He is not going to learn anything by being excluded from the group....except to maybe become an angry little boy who never learns to self-regulate and control his own behaviors. If you feel this is your only alternative then you need to term care and let them find a provider who can meet his individual needs.

The iron solution mught be good, but I would not do that without a doctor's note. Too much iron is not a good thing, just as too little iron is not a good thing.

Good luck.