View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 02-16-2018
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw127:
I do tummy time for a few minutes at a time but very frequently. His pediatrician instructed me to not let him get too frustrated during tummy time otherwise he may stop tolerating it all together and begin screaming as soon as I put him on his belly.

I am fine with leaving him to work out fussing, fretting, grunting, or whining for long periods of time (as long as 30-45 minutes when he's asleep--he's a loud sleeper!) and I will tolerate a minute or two of the urgent crying to see if he will settle or if I am attending to something else. I will usually try to calm him before picking him up when this happens.

Anything more than that of the urgent "Ah-WAH! Ah-WAH! Ah-WAH!" crying doesn't seem right, but I can't manage more than 5-6 minutes of floor time on his back without it escalating to that.

I figure even a busy provider isn't going to ignore urgent or frantic newborn cries. But I hope I can get him hang out on the floor for longer periods.
Considering we're talking about a newborn things are definitely a bit different. Newborns get a different type of attention. As the baby ages, the daily routine changes.

For newborns, they mostly just eat, sleep and poo.

My expectations for belly time and figuring things out on their own adjust with age. I wouldn't expect a 6 week old to be able to self soothe in the same manner I would a 6 month old.