View Single Post
Annalee 06:01 PM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by spud912:
We have a large house. The doorbell has been permanently disabled to prevent the onslaught of marketers and church people from ringing the door bells at all hours. We have a screen/security door on the front. The house has bad acoustics.

This doesn't factor in that I run this show alone (no assistant to stand by the door). I also get caught up sometimes going to the bathroom or something else.

I feel like some parents get peeved that they have to knock twice or that it takes a minute for me to get to the door. One family in particular has had a lot of issues with it. I've told them multiple times to text me or call if I don't answer right away (ideally they should call). But they don't. And then they act all irritated when I do get to the door.

Am I being unreasonable? Does everyone else answer the door in 2 seconds flat? God forbid I'm in the bathroom or I'm in the middle of cooking something....I can almost feel their irritance building.

And I really don't feel comfortable with leaving the front door unlocked. I also don't like parents feeling like they have free reign to walk into my house. What if I am going to the bathroom and the kids are in the playroom...can you imagine the audacity ?

I guess this is more of a vent. But what do you all do about the door situation? Do your parents get peeved it takes slightly longer to answer the door? How should I handle this at interviews to make sure they know I'm not a center with front desk staff waiting to greet people?
I have a sign up by the front door asking persons to call/text upon arrival.