View Single Post
My3cents 11:04 AM 08-22-2012
ask the child to think about what they are trying to say first. When the child talks try to make sure you are truly listening the first time. I know some kids that are not listened to by the parents will do this to be heard and then it becomes a habit and then it becomes an issue. She probably has so much to say and does not have the vocabulary or the fast enough thought process to get it out. Good eye contact with these kids helps too. The mind is moving faster then the brain can send waves to make the mouth move. Kids will also move from one thought to the next fast and they know what they want to say but it can't come out because they have three other things distracting them.

I tell mine, slow down and think about what your telling me and then I will start the first few words slowly to get the thoughts back on track. I make eye contact more then I would the normal person. It is frustrating for the child, because they know, but then lose the thought, so they feel if they keep saying the first few words over and over again it will come back.

Best and look forward to reading more ideas on this-