View Single Post
kendallina 09:55 AM 08-25-2010
Hi, I'm new to this and I'm wondering how you handle the daycare rules with your own children. Do they follow all the daycare rules when daycare kids are there? Here's my dilemma...

I have a two children that come for child care. I run a preschool starting Monday and I have two more children coming to preschool. There are a few rules that daycare kids have that my daughter doesn't normally have. Like, eating only at the table. When no one else is here we let my daughter eat her snacks in the livingroom (yeh, I know, not the best idea, but anyways...). So, when I have daycare kids here, I don't allow them to eat in the livingroom, but my daughter (21 months) obviously doesn't understand why sometimes I allow her to eat in the livingroom and sometimes I don't.

So, do you think I should make DD follow the no eating in the livingroom rule with daycare kids here? Or do you think it's okay if she's allowed to occasionally eat in the livingroom and the other kids (ages 2-3) will understand that they cannot but she can...that hardly seems fair to them.

For a little background info...my daughter is extremely low weight and was diagnosed failure to thrive when she was little, so there are some battles that we just prefer to not have. She also takes a longer time to eat because she has low muscle tone (even in her mouth) and chews pretty slowly. So, the other children finish before her and go to play in the livingroom and she always wants to go with them, but she's still eating.

If you made it through all of this, thank you. I'd like to hear what you think of this situation and how to handle daycare rules with your own children.... thanks!
Katy