View Single Post
daycare 12:35 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You're right. Not every single parent HAS to work long hours. But, many prefer to not use government assistance.....like me. I made a CHOICE to have my child, so I owned the responsibility of caring for and providing for him. (disclaimer: I do not have a problem with people who NEED assistance recieving it, but when an able-bodied person relies on it when they could get a job, I do have a problem with it)

So, basically what has been said by you is, parents should think about such issues before they make the CHOICE to have children so that their kids don't have to be in daycare too many hours. But it's okay if they make the CHOICE to have those kids anyway, to go ahead and let the Gov. provide for them so they don't have to be in daycare too many hours? I'm not sure if that's what you are implying or not, so please, do clarify for me. (and I am not referring to your situation with your son....I think it was very noble of you to do what you did)
Maybe having English as a second language, I am not always best at writing. I do try my best.
I guess I don't really know how to explain my point, as I don't know what to say to NOT offend someone.

Everyone has a choice. to be a parent at 19 or at 39. There is not right or wrong time. It’s all about your path and what you chose for your family. But I do know this. If I had to go back and do it all over again, I wish that I was older when I had taken on the responsibility. I have no regrets, but I do always wonder what I could have made of myself if I finished college and started my career. I am now happily married and have more than I know what to do with, but this has nothing to do with this topic.

I had government assistance, you had your mom. I didn't have a mother to help me in the US. I had me. NO, I am not saying have kids so the gov. can provide for them. But if it weren't for our government, (yes I am an American citizen) I would have not been able to raise my child and this is what I wanted. Just as your or other's chose differently and ask for help from mom or DC providers. If I had a mom to help me back then, my mom would have helped, but I didn't. I had two choices, work super long days and never see my son and not get any help of any kind, rely on others to raise my child. Or I could work shorter days, go to school one day a week, as for temporary gov. help and I could raise my child. I chose #2............does not make me a better parent than anyone, it was just my choice.

I do feel it is said that there are SOME people who chose to work than to be with their kids.
In fact while I think of it, I have one family that has 2 kids. Only one is in my care, because I don't offer infant care. Mom and dad are both self employed, they live in one of the nicest neighborhoods around. They drive fancy cars and buy fancy clothes. Even though the mom only goes to work 3 days a week at her business she owns, her son is here every day from 8-5:30. This is what makes me sad.................