Thread: An Odd Question
View Single Post
judytrickett 04:08 AM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
When I was in K-2 they were still allowing hand swats with rulers. Most of the time, though, naughty kids got sat in a corner with a dunce hat on...that was really embarrassing. I'd take a swat over having to put the pointy hat on and sit in the corner for all to mock and laugh quietly. Around 3rd grade (1987?) They stopped using rulers and dunce hats =/ Where I'm from, if a child needs restraining, they have a special school for naughty kids. Mostly the naughty kids get to sit in their special school fom 9am-2pm and play, color, talk, stare..etc...they aren't actually taught ANYTHING useful

It's so sad the direction our country / society is headed in.

I say bring back spankings, and the right to impose fear of repercussion in our children...

It was always the fear of what if that stopped me as a kid.
When I was in grade 6 they still had the strap!

Now, spanking a child with an open hand I am cool with. Using objects like leather I am NOT cool with.

I behaved because I KNEW my fate if I didn't. Just like now as an adult I behave because I know my fate if I don't (jail). I see NOTHING wrong with a child having some fear and using that fear as a deterrent to acting out in an inappropriate manner. That's how society works!

Kids now can go out and flipping MURDER someone before the age of 18 in Canada and get off for it! I mean COME ON!

We are going down a very slippery slope when we raise children to have NO control mechanisms because we have allowed them to run the show.