Thread: The Mine-o-Saur
View Single Post
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:25 PM 03-16-2018
Originally Posted by racemom:
I always reply nope, it's the daycares, and miss director is nice enough to let us play with them. If we cannot share and be nice to them I will have to give them to miss director to share with another room and we won't have those blocks anymore.
I've been trying this and he just moves his fixation to the next thing.

Now the snow, I cannot help with as I can't control when it is there or not. Do you think it is a control issue with him? Maybe he sees this as a way to control his environment, in which case he might need to be a leader of something.
Control could definitely play a factor. If he's redirected by or another child tells him no about something he always flips around that it his was choice. "Well I don't want to play with you anymore" even if it was me having him to a new activity or another child trying to get away from him.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
What's your sharing policy? Play until you're done with it. If you've left it and moved on to something else someone else can play with it.

Only child? Oh yeah.

What's your space like? Pretty open with different areas (not actual centers). I have a small group of 5 kids including my own, so the space is pretty flexible depending on what they're interested in at the moment. There are a couple spaces that they can "retreat" to. Is there any where he CAN put special items, or things he isn't done with yet?
He does not, this is not something I have tried.

I have a dck in care who was booted from a center. She's amazing for me. Same issue (aside from others) What I do- NO forced sharing. He can keep it as long as she wants, and we say "When you're done, can X have a turn?" and help facilitate that when the child puts the toy down. we sing- "YOU CAN TAKE A TURN, AND THEN I'LL GET IT BACK!" We don't force share either. And handle turns pretty much the same way, only I don't have a fun song.

They each have their own bins, they can place toys in there they want to save for later.
This I am going to have to try. I actually have a shelf that would work great for this.

How verbal is he? we make name lists for turn taking of popular items.
He is very verbal. We've been working on using words instead of screeching, he definitely has the ability.
I responded above in red. Thanks y'all! I'm going to work on bins for each kid this weekend.