View Single Post
Crystal 06:27 AM 08-04-2010
I personally make my own. I practice an Emergent Curriculum.....based on the child's currently developing skills and what they are interested in.
My environment is a HUGE part of the curriuclum. If a group of children is interested in a particular topic, I will add materials to each interest center that focus on that topic....for instance if a group is interested in trains....I'll add things to the block area like trains, tracks, and maybe even turn it into a train station, etc., math area I'd add a bulletin board with a big train so that they can count windows/wheels/etc. and make each train car a different color, we might make a train out of boxes for outside play-having the kids think about how to make the train and then allowing them to paint/cut/color the boxes as they wish, so on and so forth....each center would have materials about trains: book area, dramatic play, art, writing, etc. Each area would have books and writing materials. If a child is developing the skill of cutting I might put out some papers that have trains they can cut out, if they are learing colors, I might have a bunch of train cutouts in different colors for matching and sorting, and field trips are always great....we have gone to the railroad museum and to watch the trains go by on the tracks....then come back and write and draw about our experiences.... I think you get the idea.

I always start with circle time, then we move into interest centers where the children can particpate in small group activites or can choose free play.

We are always with or near the children facilitating their play....asking questions to encourage them to draw conclusions and expand their thinking.

I hope that makes sense?!