View Single Post
284878 07:35 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I know I will need a phone number for parents to reach me however I am not sure should I use... I am 100% sure I do not want to text parents and I do not want them to text me but other than that I am flexible.

a dedicated land line
- only $20 per month with my internet package
- already set up but I need to set up the voicemail
- pro in that parents cannot text me

or a

Google Voice line
- I think this is free
- calls can be forwarded to cell or home
- completely dedicated phone number instead of giving out what was once my house number

What are all of your thoughts? Suggestions?
When you call a Google Voice line does it indicate each call as a Google voice call?

I need to decide this ASAP as I need to start marketing for a January enrollment date.

Thanks in advance.
Google voice can connect to more than one phone, so you can connect it to your land line and cell phone. On the cell phone and tablet, you can download an app and use that to reply to any caller vs going into the internet google voice account to dial and wait for your phone to ring.
When you get a call, it is like the old collect calls, were you hear a computer say "you have a call from...... (insert their name in there voice) do you want to accept" (or something similar).
You can set up a voice mail recording separate from your phone voice mail. "you have reached xx dc, our hours are x-x, m-f, please leave a message at the beep." The app will turn the voice message in to text that you can view in your app or get it in your email. (but sometimes people are hard to understand and you still have to listen to the voicemail)

Personally, I would use the google voice number and attach it to the landline only so I can set up a more business voice mail message. You can still use the app on your phone to view voice mails and to see any text that one may send even though you do not want them sent.