View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 10:51 AM 03-19-2013
to original POST:

I've had similar issues over the years... and it is ANNOYING

I have THIS in my PARENT HANDBOOK...

DROPPING OFF YOUR CHILD
If your child has difficulty with drop off time, please try to reassure them that you love them and will be picking them up later and then leave as quickly as possible . In my experience, the longer the parent stays, the longer the crying child 'performs' for them. If you leave, they no longer have you as an audience, and I can begin my job of reassuring them and getting them started on their day. By lingering, you make my job more difficult. If another person will be bringing your child, please be sure to discuss this with them.
I provide a daycare room that is comfortable, clean, and well stocked with a wide range of toys and activities. I strive to keep the toys clean and in good condition for safe, enjoyable play. Almost all children view the arrival of a parent as a 'free pass'. Even the best behaved children will begin to run wild upon the arrival of a parent. Please make every effort to prevent your child from 'running wild' when you drop off or pick up. Although I completely enjoy visiting, sharing important details about your child's day, or other issues, if your child's behavior becomes too disruptive, it may be easier to discuss things over the phone. Thank you for your cooperation.

The thing is.. IF you have this in your parent handbook.. that's great.. but..
after awhile.. your clients become comfortable...and... guess what.. they start staying longer and longer...
I have one client that has become a dear friend to me outside of daycare...
She is MOSTLY a great daycare client... and.. we manage to be friends outside of daycare with few issues...

BUT...
She is one of my worst parents on the 'one more kiss and hug' good bye...

So...
about 3 weeks ago I typed this up...

CHILD DROP OFF
If you are a daycare parent, grandparent, or otherwise authorized to arrive here to drop off a child…
If you know the entry code.. please enter it… come in.. store the child’s belongings in their basket.. sign them in on the sign in log.. If you are a WORKFORCE TEXOMA client..and need to log attendance for the day.. please do so..
Otherwise.. please say your goodbyes and leave as quickly as possible..
It is NOT YOUR JOB to make your child happy while you leave.. that is MY JOB… so please leave quickly so that I can do that…
Please DO NOT bring in outside food. Have them finish in the car.. or leave it in the car.
If your child brings a cup.. there are only two things that should be in this cup… WHITE MILK OR WATER..
No chocolate milk, tea, kool aid drinks or juice drinks ..
THANK YOU

PLEASE REMEMBER… anyone that enters this room is interrupting and disrupting our usual routine. Please be as brief as possible… so that we can get back to our day..
PICK UP

If you are a daycare parent, grandparent or otherwise authorized to be here to PICK UP a child…please come in… gather your child’s things… sign them out…and leave quickly and quietly…If you are a WORKFORCE TEXOMA client and must log attendance.. please do so quick so.

Please do not allow your child to open doors.. open gates… run around in the daycare room or in the courtyard area while you are signing them out and gathering their things…
Again… your presence is a disruption to the other children.. and to our routine so please understand that it is best for you to be as brief as possible..
Thank you so much…

.. I'd like to say... it was actually an issue with a GRANDPARENT that prompted me to print this.. but..
the outside food issue was directed at HER...
She lives about 25 minutes from me.. so she gives her 20 month old daughter...and her 4 year old son.. a frozen waffle to eat on the drive in..
the 4 year old boy 'inhales' his waffle... while the sweet tiny little girl just nibbles at it..
So every dang day.... she walks in with 1/2 a waffle..
WEARS ME OUT!!!!
Which is why I included the outside food on note...
GET THIS...
I print out 4 copies..
I tape it to the outside of the door.. the inside of the door.. AND to the outside and inside of another entry door...
AND.. I EMAILED IT to all parents...

The VERY NEXT MORNING..
she walks in.. the little girl has a 'piece' of waffle in her hand..
I SWEAR!!!!
and the mom says.. I know she had one piece of waffle.. BUT.. she already stuck it in her mouth and ate it..
I didn't say a word..
I SHOULD HAVE...
WHERE ON EARTH was my BACK BONE that day?
It's because I'm friends with her..!
The next day..
ANOTHER WAFFLE.. I am NOT KIDDING..
UNFORTUNATELY.. I was in another part of the room when they came in... and mom was out the door before I saw it..
I took it from the girl.. and threw it away...
That was a Thursday..
They were absent Friday..
They were absent Monday..
Tuesday morning... they come to the door.. I hear someone out there and open the door.. and I SWEAR TO YOU...there is the little girl with a waffle..
she instantly reaches up and hands it to me.. I turn to the mom...and hand it to her.. and say.. LEAVE THE WAFFLE IN THE CAR...
That was last week..
Yesterday..
She drops off the 4 year old boy..
says she is taking girl to Ear Nose and Throat appointment.. check up... got tubes a few weeks ago..
Is it ok to bring back after appointment..
SURE.. of course..
lunch time arrives.. and I've never heard from them about return trip..
11:45.. all kids had just left the table and moved to nap cots..
door opens.. little girl steps inside..
mom behind her..
and in her hand.
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE IT..
a box of Chik fil A chicken nuggets..
Is she KIDDING ME???
I sat them on the counter..
hustled the little girl to the bathroom to wash hands as mom quietly shut the door...
she emailed me in awhile to apologize for not texting me on their way back in... and that's when I addressed it..
I emailed her back and said..
NO MORE OUTSIDE FOOD....
WAFFLES... chik fil a...or ANYTHING ELSE..
she replied.. I understand.. sorry..
WOW!!!!!!!
BUT...I still practically have to SHOVE her out the door in the mornings...
I love her...but I swear.. she is wearing me OUT

I know my post is long..
Mostly I just thought perhaps some of what I have in my handbook...and what I put in the other note.. might help you with how to word things.. if you speak to her directly.. or type up email/letter to her..