View Single Post
LK5kids 05:59 AM 01-17-2013
I have also been an elementary teacher, and while there are state standards and benchmarks to address all teachers bring their own style and interests to the classroom...
Same with how we all run our FCC homes.

I am play-based with structure. If that makes sense! I have to have a balance of both.

Here is what works for me....
7:00-8:00 Arrival

8:00-8:30 Breakfast

8:30-9:30 Free play- I offer creative art activities during this time. While I have a theme and our creative time reflects the theme I offer 95% open- ended process art over product art. Children choose if they want to participate or not.
One or two ( because I have a young group) at a time come over to the art area.

9:40 circle time with stories, flannel board stories, flannel board math poems, prop stories, music, other educational activities all with visual aids and props. I have always had good luck with circle time. I have had kids 18 mo. Stay in circle time and listen well even though they are not required to participate. I think it's all the visuals and props I use. If they would not sit for story time I would do it at snack time.

When I read a book it has only one sentence per page. These are the type of books that work for me with the younger crowd.
Circle is only 5 - 7 minutes because they are young.

10:00 am Snack

10:20 outside time or second free play during inclement weather with music fun added in- Greg and Steve, Dr. Jean, Hap Palmer, Jack Hartman, C.D.s etc. or other rhythm activities like dancing with Mylar streamers, etc.

12:00-Lunch

12:30-2:30-Nap

3:00-pm Snack-outside spring, summer, fall

3:30-4:30 outside time-spring, summer, fall. Free time- winter till 5:30

If something comes up that seems like a good idea, I switch things around.
This schedule is not written in stone.

Also, our public school offers 5 day a week J-k for 4/5's so my kids are all younger than that age. I don't really do alphabet instruction but we will talk about the letters in their name, I have name cards I put out at snack time, participate in alphabet songs like Greg and Steve's ABC Rock, Melissa & Doug alphabet puzzle, etc.