View Single Post
Lucy 09:00 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I just want to clarify that I too am raising children without violence. I don't teach it, accept it, tolerate it, promote it, expose them to it or encourage it. I live in a violence free home.
Just because a child hit once in your home does NOT mean that you are raising them WITH violence. Instead of booting a child out of my care for violence I'd rather take the time and help this child learn the right way.

I stand by my post earlier which I'd be curious to see how many share the same philosophy...

Agree 100%. The aggression has to actually happen to enable you to correct it. And it happens. They are HUMAN kids. I am right there to see the frustration start building, and I take immediate steps to correct it. I, too, have a ZERO TOLERANCE for hitting, etc. That doesn't mean they get kicked out of my program if a 15 month old slaps the arm of a 2 year old because they want the same toy at the same time. That's how they learn. "Learn by your mistakes". How can you learn if you don't make the mistake in the first place? But that does NOT mean my program is "violent". I take offense to that insinuation. Believe me, I'm RIGHT there to help them use words instead of hitting. And if they are a little older and should know better, they WILL receive a consequence. Most of my kids were raised from very young and have been with me a long time. I have an 11 year old who I've had since 10 weeks old. I am always praised for how well-behaved the kids are. I take them on trips and have good comments all the time. The library lady loves us because we are quiet & respectful and clean up after ourselves. Other parents at the park will say "wow, you have some great kids there". etc, etc. That doesn't mean that they didn't push & shove a time or two when they were younger. I just don't see how that could NEVER happen unless the provider or an assistant were shadowing them and actually snatching up their little hand before it made contact with the other kid. That's all I can imagine for a completely hit or push free program is that an adult is on top of them 100% of their waking hours as is ready to just move them away if they think an altercation is going to happen. I don't know... just seems unnatural to me.