View Single Post
nannyde 11:23 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Most of my rules are because someone once did "something stupid"

Liability:

1. Once my neighbors cat sprayed it and the Mom felt I should replace it. I never gave her permission to leave it and did not know it was outside.

2. One Mother was in a wreck, minor fender bender, and was cited for not having an infant restrained. Baby was bucked into seat, but not car.She blamed it on the fact that she was in such a hurry to get out of my driveway for other parents since I "WONT stagger pick-ups". (my closing time is 6, so everyone waits until then, and this is my fault how?)

Space:

1. My Foyer is only 35 sq feet, my front deck is open to neighbor dogs/cats, and I am not a storage company.

Odor:

1. Ever had that 5 day old dried Urine/Diarrhea smell in your living room?

Filth:

1. Ever had someone Else's month old French fries, goldfish, cheerios, cigarette butts or something I pray was smooshed up fig newtons all over your entranceway?

I just chalk it up to Parent Responsibility. I knew when I had kids there may be an emergency situation where I may need someone to get my kids. DH, my Mom and I all had carseats in our vehicles at all times. I was invested in my children.....before they were born.
You should write a Car Seat Ten Commandments

Thou shalt not bring FILTH into my home.

I've seen some NASTY car seats in my time. They are so clean when they are newborns and then it gets progressively worse. When the straps at the puke zone of the neck start to curl there's no amount of cleaning that's gonig to take that nasty stench out.

Back in the "I didn't know any better" days I used to loan out car seats. I had too many Dad's or Gma's picking up without realizing they FORGOT the seat. It was the quickest way to not have a kid in my house longer hours because of an "I forgot".

My insurance agent squared me on that one.

I was watching an Alaska show on one of the rural channels (R4sons .. I think) and one of the kids in the family is a firefighter. He does car seat training and placement as a community service. He was talking to one of the parents about the importance of not taking the seat in and out. He said to have it professionally installed by a car seat tech and LEAVE IT.

Because I don't do anything car seat related I don't keep up on that. I wonder if there is a new branch of education for it now where they are encouraging people to leave them in.

The Centers I work for have constant car seat issues. I keep telling them to just ban them but it's something near and dear to the parents so it's a tough service to deny.