View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:42 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
All of the ones who want free are in my area. Many of them have told me (hinted ) if I could get free preschool they would stay with me. I do everything you mention but busing and homework (which is NOT developmentally appropriate for four year olds anyway). I get your point, I want to say I am a bit offended. I know it wasn't your intention, but you can't say what goes on in someone else's business. I was a teacher. I student taught in a first grade half the year and a third grade the second half. I have worked for the board of education and was pursuing my masters. I probably would have finished if I still got the teacher discount the local college offers, but it too expensive to pay it all. I am just as experienced (if not more) than the preschool/head start teachers in my area. For my business, it's better than a public school/head start because I have low numbers and can work with the children one on one. Is there a time for school? Yes. However, what is school? Not everyone goes to public school. My sister in law home schools. So, are her children are not "growing up"? Some children go to private schools or country day schools which are more like a home.
Not seeing where I said anything offensive...

I am a provider too. I am also a licensed teacher with a degree.

Doesn't change how parents view child care.

I can't change how they view "family" child care.

I am sure there are a million reasons parents want preschool.

If it's because it's free, then you can't compete with that; unless you do it for free too.

If it's something else...then find out what it is and provide what it is the parents is looking for.

You are right though, not everyone goes to public school but on the same note, not every parent is looking for the brick and mortar preschool either.

My reply was based on "those" parents since that is the topic OP wrote about.