View Single Post
Thriftylady 06:21 PM 06-15-2015
Yep an oldie, but I see both sides of this. Marriages sometimes need care, without happy parents you can't have happy children. DH and I have done this before. Never a week when the kids were younger it was two motorcycle rallys a year a weekend long. Now that DS is moved out and DD is in high school, I go out in the truck with DH sometimes. Just got off last week from being on a month. DD has been away at her church camp job most of that time. But for DH and I, especially with him being a truck driver and being away so much, if we didn't make time for our marriage, it probably wouldn't exist any more.

All that being said, I wouldn't ignore or neglect my children. I do special things with DD all the time, and did with DS when I could. For instance I went out to the camp the other night and had dinner with her. A 60 mile drive each way, but I did it because I also wanted to nurture my relationship with her. DH will likely go with me this coming weekend to do the same thing if schedules line up. With DD working now and school, she is gone more than ten hours most days so worse than daycare, but if you try and make sure you make the time you can still have special times.

I would feel bad if I was all about my kids or all about my husband and the other was getting neglected. Then I wouldn't be happy, and if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

ETA: We never had a honeymoon. DH took off work a half day early the day we got married on a Friday, back to work as usual Monday. I brought my two kiddos to the marriage, DS was 8, DD was 2. We didn't go on a honeymoon because of money, because of the kids, because of this and that. We got married at the courthouse, I have been married twice and never had a "real" wedding lol. So yes I have sacrificed for the kids and so has DH he adopted them both! But we have also sacrificed for the marriage.