View Single Post
AnneCordelia 06:18 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
Isn't formula cow's milk-based? Is it diluted? Was she on a special formula formula? Even in breast milk a child that has a milk protein allergy will show symptoms if the mother is eating milk and milk products. This is just odd to me that the child has NO symptoms with milk-based formula but symptoms with milk.

I'd say seek more answers.
2 of my babies have had dairy intolerances. My first son was formula fed and would vomit/diarrhea with cows milk. He was fine on a cows milk based formula. Our ped explained that the casein in the formula is broken down partially already (as it is in cheese and yogurt) so it's more likely to be tolerated. That's why when we introduced dairy we did so with cheese and yogurt first.

My third child was breastfed and I ended up having to go dairy free to accomodate him. Both started tolerating limited dairy in my diet and their own by a year but neither were able to drink a glass of milk until their 3rd birthday.

This is one of the most common food intolerances and it is normal to see symptoms with fresh milk and not with processed formulas.