View Single Post
melilley 11:45 AM 01-04-2013
I have just recently left the center setting after almost 15 years and know how things work at most,not all, most centers! I worked in a fairly large corporate center. Sorry this happened to you, what happened to you can happen to anyone! Unfortunately putting assistant teachers in for lead teachers is common practice. In my state leads have to be in the classroom for at least 6 hours (I think) a day. But assistants would come in and relieve the leads even if they weren't familiar with the kids. But one thing the center that I worked at did was have very strict attendance policies for the kids. We had to have a clip board with us everywhere we went, even on walks to the office and had to sign the kids in and out every time we left and entered the classroom, outside, the indoor gym, etc. on top of having a head count and checking them off while we were doing the headcount. Too bad your center didn't have the same. But with that said, there were still a couple of times where a kid was left outside or was in the hallway, it just happened. One time a child ran out the door and was in the hallway (this child always did this), but the teachers in the room that day did get fired for that happening. And I know how the children act, especially at that age, when the lead leaves! It can be pure chaos especially if that teacher is new or is not in that room all the time! Lining up form outside was the worst! In our state the ratio for 3 is 1:10! That's why I chose to be an infant and toddler lead...lol I think that all centers should be required to have an attendance system so that this won't happen. I do believe that leads can't be there all day everyday, but some sort of system should have been put into place! Part of the blame should be on the center. Sorry this happened to you!