View Single Post
Cat Herder 05:16 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It is interesting reading through these posts... just responding to your comment on getting their money’s worth: I run a home program and I know not everyone can do this but I have intentionally decided I don’t want parents to do that so I charge a set rate based on their hours and give them some vacation time (if they give me notice) that I don’t charge them for. I also make it clear to families that I think kids need parent time. Since they are not being charged for time not here (within reason and based on agreed schedule) they don’t use as many hours as they might otherwise.I have worked with families in the past where dcf was involved and they really were better off in care, but that is not the case with any of my families now. I find a lot of families look to us to help them form these ideas about what they ‘should’ be doing because they see us as the experts! At least around here...
I think that is great. I don't do the sliding scale because it is a lot to manage and I needed to simplify billing/taxes to keep from burning out with my second jobs responsibilities, too. I do offer unpaid vacation time, although it is rare anyone takes it.

I also agree with you that parents look to us for ideas. I post all family events in my surrounding community on a regular basis to inspire. Especially the free ones in state parks, museums and libraries. It works very well since most would not know about them otherwise, they can't look that stuff up at work and don't have much time at night. It is much easier for me to stay in the loop as an empty nester.