View Single Post
Laurel 04:45 AM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by LittleQueen:
Hi Everyone,

So my boss's business manager told him the other day that it would be more lucrative to go the montessori route than stick with a traditional daycare. In the area that we operate in that is true but my question is, is there really a difference between the two? I know what montessori schools are about and it just seems to me that certain aspects can easily be made available in a traditional daycare (if it hasn't already been incorporated). Am I wrong?

I personally love Montessori but I also think an excellent traditional daycare is good also. I honestly think it depends on the school. I have seen 2 not so good Montessori schools (worked in one) also.

My daughter was thinking of sending my almost 3 year old son to Montessori when he turned 3. I sent her to Montessori and she says it taught her a love of learning moreso than WHAT they taught. I asked her if she was sure as she was only in preschool at the time. Could she really remember that? I told her that since I was into Montessori back then and even before then had a "Montessori" mindset myself and my mom before me (hands on, concrete learning, 'follow the child' type of thinking, open art, etc.), could she really contribute it to a few years or a lifetime of the same kind of thinking?

It was also insanely expensive because their materials are expensive. I've checked!!

I do love the whole concept though and sent my 3 children...one until 2nd grade to a magnet Montessori school.

All that said, I would really judge the school and not the philosophy because my son went to one that pushed reading sooo hard that it was ridiculous which is just the opposite of the philosophy. To this day he hates to read.

Not sure if that was any help though.

Laurel