View Single Post
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 05-22-2018
I never intended this to be controversial. I don't want to see providers feel criticised for their concerns.

Providers who are afraid of the liability of the official *recommendations are not heartless. They are experienced in the patterns of the legislature and are wary. Calling for late arrivals is only a recommendation BUT recommendations have a way of becoming mandatory in our field.

"These deaths are preventable, and everyone in the community, especially Head Start and child care providers, has a role to play in protecting our children." and "Get in touch with designated family members if a child who is regularly in your care does not arrive as expected." - https://www.acf.hhs.gov/occ/news/car...mmer-time-safe - US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Care

Especially us? That is the concept that many resent, that we are more responsible for the kids outside of our care than the parents. It is a ridiculous notion that extends to so many new "parent engagement and outreach" mandates.

Providers fear of becoming liable if this becomes mandatory is entirely valid. It should not be our responsibility (or car manufacturers, for that matter).

I, personally, stand by my conviction that we have a chance to save an innocent life. I will worry about the liability when it happens in this case. This is a risk I am willing to take.