View Single Post
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 11-17-2016
Originally Posted by Honeybear1981:
Hello all! I'm very new to this site & being a child care provider in general. There's a single mom at my church who needs a sitter for her 2 year old. I expressed interest in the job since I'm looking to leave my current place of employment. My problem is I have no idea what to charge. I'm not licensed & from what I understand with my research is that under MN law I can be a legal non licensed (LNL) child care provider. She wants to pay me $2.15/hour & I think that's just too little because we (it's just husband & I) have bills to pay just like she does & I don't want to break her bank but at the same time I can't put us in a bad position either. I'm feeling completely lost & frustrated & would appreciate any help or advice.
I am in MN and I think what she is offering you is more than fair.

Standard state reimbursable rates for LNL providers in MN are around $1.50 and hour your area.
https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6441B-ENG

If you were an independent contractor and hired as a nanny then I would definitely expect a higher wage with a different job description but as a LNL provider, you aren't going to net much more than the above pay.

You can of course charge what ever you want but if the family can't afford to pay it, they aren't going to be able to pay more. Licensed provider rates in the same area are around $2.25 an hour.