View Single Post
preschoolteacher 11:47 AM 03-05-2014
First of all, I don't mean anything I am going to say to be about you personally. You seem like a very caring teacher who is willing to go the extra mile for your kids. Your director and daycare center, however, have a lot of problems.

There is a reason the kids are acting up. It's not because they are bad. 14 1-year-olds to 1 adult is insane, illegal, and likely contributing to most of the problems. I seriously would report it. You can do that anonymously.

It also sounds like you have very few materials for the kids. 1-year-olds can't be expected to sit long and be on task. I can't imagine they will stay at those two tables long to do anything. What kind of toys do you have? Are they all just thrown into boxes? Are they easy for kids to find and play with? Is there any sort of organization in the room?

It also sounds like there are some inappropriate expectations for the kids. 1-year-olds can't do crafts. They can color, maybe finger paint... but I'd be wary to introduce any art materials if you are alone supervising 14. How can you be sure Jimmy isn't eating glue if you have his 13 hitting, biting classmates to supervise by yourself at the same time?

Are they getting outside? Do you have a gym or a large motor place for them to run around?

The first thing I'd address is the fact that you're illegally understaffed. Like others said, nothing will improve until you get the help you need.