View Single Post
Abigail 06:56 AM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I also try to keep it very formal - there will be times I have to address issues and I've learned the hard way that if I hire a friend I'm likely to let things go and just get upset about it

In my state they must be fingerprinted, undergo a background check and have current CPR/First Aid.
Same here too! We also need to hire using the same employment forms you would for any other job and get proof for their I-9 Forms too. I was lucky to know someone to have first start, but I'm definitely confident now in hiring "off the street" through basic and in-depth interviews. Working with someone you've known for awhile does make things different so I do recommend not hiring friends/family because you want to not have those "bumps" in your relationship when you need to be serious and discuss issues. We've gone through those and things are going well. I do like having someone who doesn't know me though because I feel more like "the boss/owner" than I do when I work with my friend.

I also don't have a problem hiring someone young with less experience because that is how I started out! I have a passion for this line of work and if you were to interview me and give me a chance you would be thrilled! I am happy another daycare I worked at before gave me the chance and others helped me get started and now I'm doing very well and love it! You can tell through talking and interviewing whether you think they'll be a good fit. I pay average, but offer incentives when things go well and pay raises. I treat my employees with respect and ask for their input often to make them feel involved. Good luck!