View Single Post
nannyde 03:01 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
I just want to say I have one of these dcp's, too. Every negative thing must have been because of so-and-so (usually my ds!). It is said jokingly but I know this parent seriously believes it couldn't from his very own. I never say anything though but probably will say something jokingly right back next time.

nannyde How in the world could you keep your kids away from dcp's? My dcps know a LOT about the other kids in my care as they see them ALL everyday?! I work alone and have one entrance.....my daycare area is close to the door (gated off). I try to keep my mouth shut about OTHER dck's but it's so hard when dcp's are just bluntly noticing things and asking questions about the others.....I think they mean well but just curious how you are able to separate everything....
Staff assistant and a separate area for arrivals and depatures. Parents come in the living room and the kids are either in playroom one... the first level opposite end of house or the playroom two in the basement level opposite end of the house.

I don't allow in play room visitis with the other kids so if the parents want to come and visit their child they would have their own separate play room to visit their child. Nobody takes me up on that.

Sometimes if the parent drops off during our outdoor walk they can see the whole crew at one time. That works great because the kids are all attached to the stroller, calm, and just want to get going. They don't pay any attention to the dropping off parent.

I also post pics on my website so they can actually SEE the group but I don't allow any intermingling between the day care parents and the other kids or the day care parents and my kid.

I've gone 17 years without ever having an conflict about my other day care kids behavior or my son. I've never had a parent blame my child or other day care kids for their child's behavior. I've never had lingering parents who want to hang out to watch their kid play with his "friends". I've never had long drop offs where the parents sit and watch the other kids and "ease" their kid into the group. I don't have parents discussing what kids are present for little Johnny to play with. I don't have any issues with the parents being upset because kids have left the day care or that kids are coming in the day care. I would NEVER tolerate parents askiing me ANY questions about the other kids.

They base ALL of their relationship with the day care on ME and the care I give to their child. It doesn't matter what kids I have in the house ... no matter their ages or their behavior... no matter WHAT ... "I'M" going to make it work so pay no nevermind to the other kids.

If the parents want the service of interacting with the other day care kids and being a part of conversations and having questions and opinions about the other day care kids then they wouldn't enroll here. I don't provide that service but I can see where a LOT of parents would like it and want it. It's just not something I want to offer because I think it causes a lot of situations like the OP brought up. It also can threaten your business when parents become attached to the idea of their kid being with kids that leave or move on. That's a REALLY big problem with having parents micro involved with your group.

I manage all the relationships with the kids and don't allow any family or child to fixate on a relationship between their child and any one or two kids in the care. All of the kids are equally attached to each other. I don't do singlular attachments or discussions about "best friends". Parents involvement in the kids can very easily set up for these kinds of relationships which would really mess up my system of raising safe and happy kids here.