View Single Post
Mom2Two 02:27 PM 10-02-2017
Originally Posted by Michael:
Nicely done. How do you keep the wood flat and even?
If I get a chance one time, I'll make a rough plan so that others could easily do this. But I'll try to describe it.

We laid down 2 x 4s on the grass around both side edges of where the path would be. But they are staggered, so that on the corners, the 8 ' redwood lays across two 2 x 4s that run the other way. The corner 2 x 4s underneath are kinda like half of a hashtag if that makes sense.

Then we also have a strip of 2 x 4s running down the center of the short (top and bottom) sides, to support the 4' redwood pieces.

Down the longer sides, we have 41" pieces of treated lumber for support (and to screw the boards down onto). The 41" pieces that are underneath the "seams" down the long sides are 8" wide, so that each side of the "seam" can be screwed down.

So to answer the question, it's flat partly due to the grade of the dirt/lawn being okay, but also, the way that it's all screwed down across supports makes it all level out.

Using star head screws, and with two drills going--one for pilot holes and one for the screws--it came together pretty fast.