View Single Post
Scout 09:36 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
What are his main issues?

I give my dcks a LOT of control over the choices they make, and therefor the consequences. I use language, verbal and body, that make time out (taking a break) not such a negative thing. It is a cool down period when you aren't in control. 3-4 would get a lot of reminders of rules before hand, with a warning when the behavior occurs to allow them a chance to own their actions and change the behavior "dcb, the rule is we are nice to our friends. You can give the toy back to Amy or you can sit. Your choice." I am neutral, they KNOW they aren't getting me riled up. Me getting worked up FUELS their poor behavior. EVERY TIME. If he chose to give the toy back he would get "Nice choice!" with POSITIVE energy. If he chose not to, there would be an immediate consequence that won't be surprising because I just told him. "You chose to sit." and move him away from the group.

Consistency is key. Set rules, set consequences, reminders before activities, during and after. Not 2-3 times is this allowed until Mrs. stops me this time, 1x the next, etc.
I am going to try this route! Thank you...I have a dcg that has been beyond terrible lately. She has always been tough but, lately has been running after kids to get their toys! She will go around them from behind and put her hands around their necks trying to get them too, which obviously is NOT ok. I get very worked up each time and it is not working. This may work. I don't know why the sudden regression in sharing toys but, I am at my wits end. She just turned 3 this summer.