View Single Post
DBug 07:22 AM 08-24-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I am thinking about starting a new rule in my home in the fall that the kids will take their shoes off at the door and put them in a basket. My home is very small and being that I hardly have any grass, they track in so much dirt on their shoes.
This must be a cultural thing, because as a Canadian (and everywhere I've been across Canada), it's considered rude to walk into someone's house without taking your shoes off at the door. I have hooks for each of the kids jackets/backpacks/diaper bags, etc. and I just have them place their shoes on mats underneath. Maybe something similar would work for your setup? I have carpet, so the kids go either barefoot or in socks. But if it's an issue at your place, you could always have them bring a pair of indoor shoes to keep at your house (which is what all of our elementary schools do).

The one problem I can see with having a basket for everyone's shoes, is that at outdoor time, all of the kids will be scrambling through it to find their own and that may cause some pushing and shoving ...

But regardless, it's your house, so you're entirely within your rights to pick whatever option works for you, whether the parents like it or not