View Single Post
Mad_Pistachio 07:35 AM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I can't speak to what the typical parent sees in a home childcare program but on the subject of cost, I don't think most parents get it until they start seeing the true costs of what we purchase for our programs.

For example, I have two classroom sets of Magnatiles. ($120ish a set purchased with a grant last year) They are the most popular toy in my block area and several kids have asked for a set at home. 4 parents went out to buy them and were shocked at the cost. All 4 have since commented to me that they had no idea how I purchase such amazing learning materials, keep costs so reasonable, and still make a profit.

If you have never looked at a Lakeshore catalog, you just can't understand.
we have the business administration class in the IECE department. I am scared to take it not just because I totally stink at numbers, but because I may find out what our DC director gets out of her daycare... if anything.
I've done quite a few observations at our daycare (for school), and I even tried to jot down approximately how much the parents may pay in a year and then subtract the staff salaries, building maintenance, utilities, toys/books, food, taxes... the list goes on and on. I'm surprised she makes an income, and not so surprised that her husband is a breadwinner.
but then again, it did take some inside look to realize all that. not that I'm making excuses for the mothers trashing DCPs, just trying to see it from the side I saw it from at first.