View Single Post
Josiegirl 02:44 PM 08-02-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I like to do themed units, but I typically do 3 weeks per unit rather than a full month. More than that & we all get bored, less & we don't have time to really explore the topic. I like to introduce new info the first 2 weeks and review the third week. I plan out units for the year based on the kids' interest & my own. Some favorites: human body, dinosaurs, fall/pumpkins, Christmas around the world. We do circle time right after breakfast. Then free play outside for 40 minutes to an hour. Inside for preschool activities followed by lunch & nap. Back outside for an hour or more until pick up in the afternoon.
Circle time tips: Use placemats or rugs to give children a visual on where to keep their bottoms when they sit. Alternate a movement activity with sit down activities. Anything that can involve movement should.We count standing up, standing on one leg, hopping the numbers, etc. Allow designated time for them to "go crazy." When we count we clap 9 numbers & go crazy on the tenth. They can hop, bounce, spin, etc but when i clap its back to your mat to count some more. Involve them in your read aloud. Ask questions, have them make predictions, etc. If its fun, even most of my rowdier kids will join in. I'm just worried about the one I posted one earlier. You'll do great whatever you decide to do.
I like these ideas!