Thread: Handbook Help
View Single Post
My3cents 10:20 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I think the bones are good - REALLY good, but I would rewrite some areas. It almost seems like some things are written by 2 different people. Some areas seem so professional and others not so much.

"If your child misses, you are still responsible for tuition, unless you use your vacation." Is one of the areas, I'm referring to. I would put something more along the lines of. Tuition is due weekly, regardless of attendence... or something other than "if your child misses".

I personally wouldn't offer a 50% discount for multiple children. If they have a large family, you are shooting yourself in the foot. That's a HUGE pay cut. I understand wanting to offer a discount (I don't at all, due to the limited #of spaces and what I need to make to make a living.) but that's too generous - in my opinion.

Letting the parent choose a payment day, seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. I would pick a day and state that "payments are due by"

"you will be billed $0.50 per diaper we use from our backup stock, this does not count if a child runs out or an occasional oversight happens." I'd change this too. I'd set a daily fee for supplies not available or just refuse services. I can see a parent disputing how many diapers you used of your own... I would also take out the part of occasional oversight happens - we all know this, but it isn't necessary in your handbook.

Question: are you currently watching children and is this how your day is really scheduled? I started out with a very structured schedule too (printed in my handbook) but when I started I found out that it just wasn't going to happen with the dynamics of the children I had. We still did all the things in my schedule but it just couldn't be done at the times I had stated. This can cause issues with parents if you state things will be very structured and it doesn't happen. I don't really know where I was going with that, but something to think about. I finally just took out the schedule of my day. If the parents wanted to know I gave them a brief over view of what we do in a day, but it's not specific to time, necessarily.

I'm not sure center information is necessary - As far as what is in each center. This is something that can be discussed with a parent or shown in an interview. If you want to mention that you have centers, that's wonderful! I just wouldn't spell out what's included in a block area, etc.

"The children are encouraged to dance in whatever way they choose… Dance & Music time is always fun, and we always use upbeat & encouraging music."
I type in ... too, but I would change this in your handbook. Just end with a period. I would leave out the dance and music is always fun. It may not always be fun to some personalities. I'd leave out opinion as much as possible in your handbook.

"We do lots of arts and crafts." I'd just take that out. It's repetitive.

"We do not have any “do like me” or “copycat” projects, though we do at times have focused projects for a specific color or letter." I would just state your crafts are process oriented. I'd make this statement more professional or leave it out all together.

"If the behavior is continued, you will be asked to come discipline your child, or remove them from care the rest of the day. Actions which threaten the life or safety of another child will be grounds for immediate parental contact." I'd find a way to reword this. As a parent, I'd be concerned that you'd be calling me to pick up my child every time he acts up. I would be really concerned if the provider is making me leave work to "discipline" my child. I see what your going for, but I'd word it differently. - not sure how at the moment.

Discipline - what about redirection? That's often an easier solution to behaviors that isnt' even discussed...

or send a designated representative and authorized person to pick them up. this statement is unnecessary.

Per your request, we will give Motrin (ibuprofen), Tylenol (acetaminophen), or Benadryl (diphenhydramine). You must specifically tell us to give your child the medication. We do not keep other medicines on hand we can give.
I wouldn't do this either. Huge liability. If you are going to administer meds, it needs to come from the parents and have them sign that they ok'd administering it to them.

Without an ID, or with an incorrect (expired, information difference, etc…) ID, your child will not be released under any circumstance. You won't release the child if their driver's license is expired? I'd leave that part out too. You could state if they do not have proof of identification, the child will not be released to their care.

We have several other substitutes and assistants which work from time to time in the event the director must be gone. As a parent this appears that several different people are going to be coming in and out. I'd just state that you have substitutes available in the event that the director is absent. Then explain how this is handled - as you did.

If you wish to withdrawal your child from case, you must give us two weeks written notice. You are responsible for two weeks tuition, so that we have a chance to fill your child’s slot. case - spelling error "care". Leave out the "so that we have a chance to fill your slot".

We send children home in fresh clothes, so please have some on hand for us to change your child into if needed. leave this out. It implies that you are changing their clothes everyday. State what you need and leave it at that.

Also you discussed diapers earlier in your handbook. Get it all in the same section.

Parental Involvement & Contact

Any pertinent information from the day will be shared with you upon arrival to pick up your child. Parents are encouraged to be involved in every level of their child’s care. You are free to visit the facility any time during operating hours, and there are various opportunities of parents to share cultural or job things with the students. Opportunities for parent involvement include but are not limited to the following: Helping in the classroom, chaperoning field trips, bringing treats for birthday parties, etc… You discussed this earlier in visitor section. I'd combine the 2. Or word it differently so it's not redundant.

A child needs rest, period. I'd take this out. You already stated rest time is not optional.

Pets & Animals
We love animals in our family, and we currently have a family cat. He has had all of his vaccines and is very friendly. Your child is to respect him as he would any member of the family. Due to health and safety reasons, your child may not bring in a pet from home.
Somehow, I think this should change... it implies your pet is better than theirs. ? I don't know how to say it and I think it needs to be said, but I think it should be reworded. I agree that I wouldn't want other pets coming in and out and that I wouldn't want them messin' with my cat...

I might change the order that things appear in your handbook too. I put my most important policies first. If they get tired of reading and don't read it, I want to make sure they read when my payments are due and who can pick up the child, etc. Maybe this is how it's most important to you and that's fine. Just a thought...

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Hopefully I didn't come across as too offensive. I think you have a great program and a great start to your handbook!