View Single Post
finsup 11:06 AM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:
So tired of this happening. Families saying they want a spot and then backing out at the last minute. I have not been asking for a deposit. Which is going to have to change. This last one I knew them. Never thought they would back out after they said they wanted the spot. Interviewed them a month ago. They had a few questions and then confirmed they would take the spot. Wanted to start with a few shorter visits this coming week and then fulltime the following week. So I emailed on Friday to ask what days they would like to send her for visits. No response. Sent another email on Saturday evening no response. So I sent a message to the dad on facebook this morning. Since it was a work email that I have. It was read this morning and still no response.

So I guess if they don't respond today they longer want the spot. This puts me in a tight spot since I was hiring my daughter to help out with the daycare starting next week and I have child leaving for the summer in a month.
That stinks
I've had to learn two things the hard way. First, never hold a spot without a non refundable fee for holding it. Personally I will hold a spot for 2 weeks without payment (mostly to encourage families to give/pay a two week notice anywhere else) but after that, sorry, you will be paying a holding fee. I didn't used to charge one and ended up loosing a lot of money waiting for people who suddenly had different plans.

Second thing? Treat everyone, whether it's friends, family etc the same. It's nice to want to help out, give deals to people you know/are related to but it gets taken advantage of quickly. Treating even close friends etc as regular clients is the only way I will take them on.
I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it really does make for a lot less hassles.