View Single Post
e.j. 11:09 AM 11-29-2017
I've always served berries, melons and tomatoes, too, and it's never been an issue until now. Apparently, from what my food program says, they are no longer allowed under the new rules. My food program is Yours For Children. I've been with them for over 20 years and I've never had a problem with them. The rep who visits is wonderful; I can't say enough positive about her. From what she told me, she's equally as frustrated by this new rule.

As far as I know, we can still serve things like banana, kiwi, mango, peaches, plums, apples, pears, nectarines, oranges, pineapple, apricots, etc. Just not berries, melons and small, round tomatoes - and grapes, which we were told not to serve years ago. It's just the arbitrary nature of this that makes no sense to me, I guess. Why would diced apples or pears be any safer than cut up or even pureed strawberries? Based on what I was told, though, we can't serve berries or melons in any form from now on. It makes about as much sense as being able to serve sausage but not hot dogs. Sometimes the rules set by government entities just don't make much sense!