View Single Post
Crystal 07:03 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My kids would LOVE having this adult response. It wouldn't stop them from destroying things but it would be super fun. Nah, my kids don't love it when they are my shadow. They'd much rather be playing without me hovering. They get LOTS of independent play here, so having me next to them all day bugs the heck out of them.

Having an adult spotting the child wouldn't be a reward but it wouldn't be a consequence either. see above

Having an adult help repair whatever they have broken would be something different than what they do day to day so that would be fun and exciting. "Working" on it would be really fun. I suppose it could be considered fun....but the point of it is to see that they CANNOT fix what they broke.....they KNOW I am disappointed..... THAT makes them SAD....they don't like feeling that way

Knowing that something couldn't be fixed would not be a problem for most kids. They live for the moment so loosing one toy out of the hundreds they have access to daily would litterally mean nothing. We remove toys that don't work for the group and not a single kid has an issue with it. It's either available or it's not. If it's not... there is something else to go to. Yeah....I remove things that aren't working for my group too. I am a HUGE believer that the environment plays a significant role in children's behavior. If my kids are having issues, the FIRST thing I look at is the environment to consider if changes need to be made. And, just like for you, not a single kid has an issue with it.

This sounds good in theory and it sounds super dooper for the kid. I don't see how it would lead to less destruction though.Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it does. I cannot GUARANTEE that it works. As I said in a previous post, my kids are with me from infancy (typically) and they know my expectations. I don't typically have these types of issues. But, when I do, I know how to handle it in a way that works for MY kids.
I have worked this way successfully with children for 15 years and do not have behavior issues like many providers here express. SOOOO.....I MUST be doing something right