View Single Post
Crystal 04:16 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I disagree completely but assuming you are correct:

1) It's okay that they don't learn anything from it.

2) Knowing Pitter's funding for the kids she cares for there simply isn't enough money to provide a consistent and knowledgeable adult to guide one child into proper behavior. She makes a couple of dollars an hour. That kind of guidance requires an adult specifically FOR the child to protect the property and the other kids. An adult for this child would be much more than the parents could afford or Pitter could afford.

Seclusion and confinement work very well and is an affordable alternative to having an adult one to one a kid whether that child be a biter, hitter, toy basher, or whatever other untoward behavior the child is displaying.

What's lacking now is the ability to put a child who repeatedly offends NOT in a confined area but TO BED. This kid needs to GO TO BED and stay in bed for a good while. When he gets a good lot of that THEN he needs to go into a confined area to play and slooooowly bit by bit be reintroduced into the free play he so bodly abused.

It's unfortunate that "go to bed" has been removed as an alternative discipline for child care providers. It worked FABULOUSLY in previous generations (second only to a spanking) but Lord forbid we do anything but "guide" the child at two bucks an hour.

These kids aren't getting better behaved as time goes on. As we strip away every meaningful discipline from providers you are going to see reactions like Mac60's. What she is REALLY saying is that she's given NOTHING that really works that isn't so costly and time consuming that the fees for the child do not come CLOSE to managing it.

Mac60: I understood what you were saying and I don't believe you meant for a week on a blanket all day long. I think what you were saying is that the consequence can't be metered out over three minutes and have it work... that the kid needs to be excluded from what he is abusing... and it needs to be over a few days so each time he is excuded from that activitiy he sees that the gig he had before was a heckofalot better than the gig on the blanket.
So, Nan...I find it interesting that this is what you state here, but your policies, that are posted on your website seem completely opposite.

This is what you say in your policies:

. When children have escalating behavior we use “proximity control” or physically close supervision until the child exhibits the behaviors we seek for normal group activity. ( I would consider this shadowing)

We rely on the other children to show children with unwanted behavior what behavior we expect and promote. If a child persists with unacceptable behavior we “team” them up with the child in the day care who is able to show them the proper way to conduct themselves. When children with behavior issues are surrounded by balanced and stable children they will adjust quickly to the conduct of the rest of the group. We encourage the older children to model kind and co-operative behavior and to mentor the younger children who need help. Works like a charm. (I would consider this NOT being excluded or "confined" but remaining with the group to learn appropriate group behavior)

So, I am curious as to which philosophy you actually apply with your children?