View Single Post
karen 11:51 AM 03-28-2012
Another SUPERMOM! I am not sure why it's o.k. for parents to not want to teach their child about respect....
Some things I have done when children break my stuff
I do some major hand holding and keep telling the child sorry I can't let you go play because you broke my toy and that makes me very sad. After awhile I ask if they are ready to play and if they say yes they are allowed to go play but they are reminded how I don't like them being mean to my stuff. When I see that they are playing the right way they get praised "Yay Johnny I see you are doing a great job playing so nicely that makes me so happy! I am so proud of you..I knew you could do it.
In front of the parent I say hopefully tomorrow Johnny you won't be so mean to my toys/property because that makes Miss Karen very sad.
Finally and this works for me I tell the children and yes in front of the parents should I come to your house and break one of your toys.
I know how mean this sounds but sometimes it is the only thing that has worked....and I have never had to do it because the behavior has stopped.
If I did have to do it I would absolutely make sure I had the exact same toy to hand back to the child after we had a discussion about "how that made you feel"