View Single Post
brookeroo 07:28 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I agree that there are obviously other issues that this child should see a doctor for but, in answer to the main question. I have a playyard that I use with a child similar to this (1 1/2). This kido is quick and gets into things that other kids would never even think of! (taking the front off the window airconditioner etc) If I can not directly supervise him he is in the yard. Sometimes by himself sometimes with another child. But he is still in the playroom so he has communication with the others and gets to see them play but I know he is safe! When I can supervise he is out. When he does something he is not suppose to do I sit him down on his bottom where ever he is and tell him no. He will stand up and start to reach again I set him down again. Now, I started this process about a month ago and believe it or not, he is improving. He will look at me and I will say no and he stops and moves on. I still do not leave him unsupervised but when I am there he is doing better He has no limits at home, they just get mad at him when he does something. I feel like this is what I can do. Train when I can and secure when I can't
That is kind of where I am at with this...pretty much exactly actually. They don't really discipline him for things much, if at all. They feel a 15-30 second time out is sufficient. I really don't think he gets the whole time out thing. It doesn't bother him to be sat in another room for 1-2 minutes away. I have even left him there for up to 3-4 minutes... he doesn't care. He will sit there and try to chew on my furniture so I have to stand there in the doorway with him. I've begun just putting him up in his nap area because sitting for the time outs are not accomplishing anything. They have no effect.

My husband said that he doesn't feel like the many times he's been around this child that he is really all quite "there". He doesn't connect much and seems to have major anxiety when there is change or new people/kids around. It's all hearsay. I can't diagnose this child of course... This is not a teething problem. I know that much. I just know that something is not right with him. I'm not someone with training on how to deal with special needs either. It could be medical ...something that could be helped, and it could be something that they have to live with. Who knows.

It's unfortunate because its a matter of time before they will have to come to terms with whatever it is. I know at some point they will have to but all I can do is ensure the safety of everyone involved. I will try the iron thing but like I said I'm having a difficult time getting him to eat anything that is actually food related. They pretty much feed him cheezits and animal crackers ect for dinner she said.

Despite the fact that I have mostly very small children they expect me to have him outside all the time when weather permits. He is one of my oldest ones at 21 months old so you can imagine how easy that is. Especially since I have had two who are now 6 month old. As of now I'm not going to terminate until I'm in a better place to do so but it is down the line if things do not drastically improve. If they were to leave I would not be upset about it though. I do like them. They are very nice people but they are just not living in reality. It's amazing what expectations people have for others to just live with because they pay them $100/a week.