View Single Post
melilley 10:35 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not everyone does child care to survive. Many providers do it to pass the time or to simply care for a child because it is something they love to do.

I have a neighbor near me who provides full time infant/toddler care for $75 per week. (The going rate for infants/toddlers here is anywhere from $150-175 per week).

This provider does this because she wants to. She LOVES babies. She also has a husband who has a fantastic job. They definitely do not "need" the money.

I think that unless you are providing care illegally, you should be able to do what you love....even if you did it for free.

I know this is a sore spot for some providers but really there are hundreds of scenarios that aren't our own so I can see how a lot of the different ones can upset others... for example, I am in this for the long haul. I am a lifer in this profession and still provide child care despite not having any of my own children at home with me.

I am sometimes offended by providers who choose to do this job simply because they have young kids of their own and when those kids go off to school, those providers plan on going back to their medical or financial or whatever other careers.... so in my eyes I could complain about those providers as they are taking kids that I could enroll.....

See what I mean? I don't really feel that way about other providers...I was just using that as an example of how many different scenarios and situations there are out there and somehow no matter what, someone is not going to be happy with all of them....kwim?

The only REAL complaint I have are providers who provide care illegally. Other than that, to each his/her own.
So true, I didn't really think of it that way. I too don't have a problem with unlicensed providers if it is legal!