View Single Post
Angelsj 02:18 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by dalman:
. i would say that poor parenting is a direct correlation to poor behavior in children. After being a licensed daycare provider for almost thirty years, I feel I am parenting the parents as much as I am parenting the children. I don't know what went wrong with this generation, but there certainly seems to be a steady decline in parenting skills. And I am picky for the most part about who joins our daycare family. We all seem to share the same beliefs and core values, but they seem to be at a loss when it comes to parenting.
Ok, while I get that poor parenting can contribute to poor behavior in children, I am a little offended at this. I am an excellent parent. I have a Cdev degree and I have been doing this for over 30 years.
My kids are pretty good kids, but four of them are somewhere on the spectrum. Between birth-6 and again between 13-17 two of them were incredibly difficult behavior wise. To the point that most people would assume they were "poorly parented."
Exactly the opposite is true. They had to be parented differently in order to be successful, but I did what I had to do to bring them up with values and an understanding of others, despite the huge struggle to do so. (And I am still working on my 14 yo)
I have also had kids who were VERY poorly parented who were golden children; smart, funny, well behaved and had wonderful manners.
I currently have two that have some behavior issues, whose parents are pretty good (certainly not terrible) and working on it. They didn't do anything wrong; these kids are just tough cookies.