View Single Post
Leigh 06:48 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One of my DCK keeps hitting, kicking, pulling hair. Every time it turn around the victim has another accusation. I've witnessed the agressor at least a dozen times assault the victim. This just started this morning but has been going on non stop for the last 90 minutes. I want to send DCM a text warning her if it continues DCK will need to be picked up for the day.

Would you warn DCM and send home if it continues?
First, this behavior is normal for a child under 2.5. If the child is older than that, I would most definitely be sending the child home. Under 2.5, I would ATTEMPT to head off the behavior myself and deal with it here. If it becomes too much, the child would be sent home for the day.

Kids under 3 just simply do better with one-on-one play. Is it possible to find an older kid to assign to play with him for a while? Some kids under 3 are very social creatures (especially the ones that grow up in daycare), but developmentally, they just aren't generally capable of empathy and the concept of social rules. However, they DO understand what "no" means, and telling them "No, hitting hurts, use gentle hands". Repeat this phrase 2,000 times, and they'll get it.

How I would deal with the situation depends on the age and maturity level of the child, but if the situation is one where you feel that the child needs so much supervision today that you just can't keep the victim safe, I would send home regardless of age.