View Single Post
nannyde 11:36 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Yeh, but in the email she just sent she changed the Oct charge from 450 to 650, even though she originally said she would just do a $50/month increase. Don't get me wrong, I think OP should be getting paid a full amount from each family, but she originally told this mom she'd just raise it by $50 and now she's going back on that and charging the full amount this month.
Oh I see what you are saying.

Yeah... it's words.

The mom isn't going to pay it no matter how the math is done and put into words.

Saying she now owes the whole 650 is the same thing as saying you are done now.

If I'm understanding the math the provider received 225 for basically three days of work (the third, fourth, and fifth). She's at a point in the pay cycle where she is ahead so if the Mom doesn't back down she gets to at least get seven days of pay without having the kid.

Usually when something like this happens and the client has already paid the money they will apologize and promise good behavior. They will also promise to go along with the rate increases... WHATEVER it takes to get the provider to give them the service up to the point where they have paid.

Once they have gotten the service they have paid for the balance of power shifts back to the parent. Then they can leave without notice and still have at least what they have paid for and the coveted last word.

I've seen this played out many times. When a provider knows a parent is leaving and they have upfront money... they fell way more comfortable to put the hammer down and often do so in a way that makes the client leave right away. That gives the provider SOME sense of winning and some money ahead.

A wise parent will say or do whatever it takes (short of giving more money) to get the provider to allow attendance until the next pay day... next power shift. It will entail a lot of crying and telling the provider how awesome she is and how she took such great care of the kid. If the provider DOES allow the kid to keep coming it's best to get IN WRITING from the parent all the great things she said to get the provider to finish out what is paid for. It's a good time to get that reference and a nice thing to show the DHS when they come out on the complaint you are sure to get.

Angels situation from what I can see is classic: A HUGE discount (93 bucks a week for a 151 buck a week slot) for something that really shouldn't be discounted (single parent), a ton of tolerating poor parental behavior, and time/money issues where the provider expected SOMETHING special or some consideration because of the all the special she's done.....

Then when the special discount is over the parent turns ugly, the provider has ONE moment to strike (when they have money upfront) so they take that time to even the score. Behavior that was tolerated many times in the past now becomes intollerable and termable.

Ugly situation